Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green!



Author: John Green
Author Online: Twitter Goodreads Website
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: First Edition edition January 10, 2012
Format: Hardback 336 pages
My Rating: 5/5 
Buy It: Amazon Barnes and Noble Book Depository 
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

The Fault in Our Stars has to be John Green at his best, and I do not take it lightly when I say this is now in my top five favorite books of all time.

This story is still so strong in my mind because its characters refuse to leave me. They're part of me now, and I welcome them with open arms.

Hazel has to be one of my favorite characters in YA. She was strong, very intelligent, witty, and brave. While at times she tried to wallow in self-pity, she never let it get the best of her. That partly has to do with her parents. I loved, loved, loved Hazel's parents so much! They were very active and involved in Hazel's life, and always put her wants and needs first; always caring about her well-being. They were fun, loving, and very strong characters. This was one YA novel where I never forgot the main character has parents, and I loved that.

Every character was so wonderfully developed and beautifully crafted—they jumped right off the page and bared their souls to you. Their stories just demanded to be told.
Augustus Waters. The reason so many girls cry over boys in YA novels.  He was perfectly imperfect and I loved so much about him. He is one of the most complex YA characters I have ever read, and he always kept me guessing.

The banter between both Hazel and Augustus was laugh-out-loud funny, sweet, and often very outrageous. One thing I love about John Green's writing and his characters is the fact that he never tries to make teenagers something we're not. Whenever I read a John Green book, I hear my voice; the voice of my friends. He doesn't make every character a lost puppy. He shows how intellectual young adults can be, and he shows real life issues that teens deal with and how we come to understand and learn from our challenges and mistakes.

This is not a light story. This is a story about a girl that has cancer. How she meets an amazing boy and falls in love. How she takes the trip of a lifetime to a different country just to meet her favorite author. It's heartbreaking and honest and true and so amazing. The emotions within this novel will tear your heart from your chest and leave you feeling raw and exposed.

This is a story of loss, of pain, of finding happiness in your darkest moments. This is a coming of age novel, but it is also so much more than that. This is Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters’ story. This is the story of their lives, however young they may be. This is their life together and finding out what it means to grow up, move on, and find happiness in even the worst situations.
Please pick this book up. It will not be an easy read, but it is definitely worth it.This book truly changed me as a person, and has set the John Green bar even higher in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...