Friday, December 9, 2011

Blog Tour: Farsighted by Emlyn Chand


I am happy and honored to be part of Emlyn Chand's blog tour for Farsighted. This tour is hosted by the lovely Stormi at Lightning Book Promotions. I would like to take the time to thank her for all of her hard work, and to let her know how awesome she is. Alright! Let's go! :)
.5
Author: Emlyn Chand

Author Online: Twitter Website Facebook
Publisher: Blue Crown Press
Release Date: October 20, 2011
Format: PDF File, 215 Pages.
My Rating: 3.5/5
How I Got It: I received this book in exchange for an honest review as part of the blog tour.
Buy It: Amazon Barns & Noble
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads )  Alex Kosmitoras’s life has never been easy. The only other student who will talk to him is the school bully, his parents are dead-broke and insanely overprotective, and to complicate matters even more, he's blind. Just when he thinks he'll never have a shot at a normal life, a new girl from India moves into town. Simmi is smart, nice, and actually wants to be friends with Alex. Plus she smells like an Almond Joy bar. Yes, sophomore year might not be so bad after all.  Unfortunately, Alex is in store for another new arrival—an unexpected and often embarrassing ability to “see” the future. Try as he may, Alex is unable to ignore his visions, especially when they begin to suggest that Simmi is in danger. With the help of the mysterious psychic next door and new friends who come bearing gifts of their own, Alex must embark on a journey to change his future
My Review:
While first reading Farsighted, I was intrigued:A blind man ‘sees’ the future’? Sounds pretty cool… and it was. Before Farsighted I had only ever read one other book that dealt with the main character being blind. I really loved that book because of all the details; the way the author was able to identify with the reader not by sight, but by sense of smell, sense of touch—I loved the change of reading a story where the author just tells us what is going on, instead of showing us. Sadly, I didn’t really get that with Farsighted.
Our hero, Alex—I couldn’t connect with him. Some chapters I felt for him, other chapters, I did not. He could at times come across as uncaring, and even rude. But I found this to be very interesting and relevant to Alex during this story, since most chapters, he didn’t quite know his feelings on certain matters, and often was left undecided by that chapters end. Still, I would have liked to see more character development from him.
I do feel that the author left out a lot about the characters personal lives, though.
I wanted to read about Alex being the underdog, and then raising up in spite of his disability. I wanted to know some of his everyday struggles, (if he had any), his favorite things to do, his favorite music—those things were lost to me. I just wanted to know him, and sadly, by the end of the book, I still felt like I didn’t learn one thing about Alex other than the fact that he loves his family and friends very much.
But, after all of the above—none of that really took away that much from the story, so don’t be too hard on this book if you’re thinking about reading it.
The secondary characters were likable enough--my favorite had to be Shapri, Alex’s not-quite-friend/friend-half-of-the-time. Very confusing, I know. She was sarcastic, witty, and very brave. She didn’t take crap from anyone, and told them just how it was.
It angered me how easily Alex could dismiss Shapri after just meeting her, and not treat her very well when they were together. I felt that this was just silly, since in the beginning of the story, Alex is so desperate for friendship. I get that he was bitter toward Shapri for ‘stealing’ his first friend, Simmi, but, really? I would have liked for Alex to see Shapri as more than just his second resort as a friend. He treats her better toward the end of the book, but I still was disappointed in him.
Simmi, Alex’s friend/love interest, was an okay character for me. She didn’t really stand out, and didn’t have any redeeming characteristics other than her kindness. I felt her and Alex’s relationship happened too fast. They should have spent more time getting to know each other, but it seemed like they just jumped into everything head-first.
Now, for the things that I did like about this book: I loved how, at the start of every chapter, there were semi-guild-lines that explained what that chapter was going to deal with, in just a few words. I felt this was a great addition to the story, and added to the atmosphere. It was very clever.
I really enjoyed the relationship between Alex and his mother, and how, more than anything, he wanted what was best for her, just like she did for him. I thought it showed a soft, caring side to Alex. I also liked the paranormal aspects of Farsighted. While it wasn’t over-the-top like some, I do wish the author would have further explained the reasoning for how people came to get their ‘gifts’, but I am hoping that is a main point in the next book in the Farsighted series, Open Heart.
Overall, Farsighted is worth the read. It was quick, action-packed, and to the point. Emlyn Chand is an author to look out for, and I feel she will only get better in time. I will follow her writing, and can’t wait for book two in this exciting new series!
They say right before you die your whole life flashes before you--a medley of your own personal greatest hits. If this is true, I must be about to live, because a series of events that haven't yet happened push themselves through my head. --Farsighted
Emlyn Chand has always loved to hear and tell stories, having emerged from the womb with a fountain pen grasped firmly in her left hand (true story). Farsighted is her very first novel. When she’s not writing, she runs a large book club in Ann Arbor and is the president of author PR firm, Novel Publicity. Emlyn loves to connect with readers and is available throughout the social media interweb. Visit www.emlynchand.com for more info. Don’t forget to say “hi” to her sun conure Ducky!



Follow the whole tour!
1st Heather K @ Hezzi D's Books and Cooks
2nd John @ The Incessant Droning of a Bored Writer
(interview only)
2nd Stephanie @ Our Family World
3rd Amanda @ Letters Inside Out
4th Alaiel @ Librarian Mouse
5th Beverly @ The Wormhole
7th Wendy @ Minding Spot
9th Angel @ 909 Reviews
10th Heather P @ Earth's Book Nook
11th Lisa @ The Ultimate Fan Blog
12th Connie @ The Character Connection
(interview only)
13th Andrea @ Dark-Readers
14th Deina @ Pages Hidden In Time
15th Jen @ A Book and a Latte

2 comments:

  1. Angel, thanks for being a part of this tour! Great Review. Its been fun reading everyones different takes on this novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for having me today, Angel, and for putting so much thought into your review. I enjoy hearing what works for readers and what doesn't. I file it all away in my author knowledge base to apply to future novels. Based on your criticisms though, I think you'll like the second book in the series much better. We get to know the characters more deeply, and since someone other than Alex is narrating, there is a great deal more description.

    Thanks for cross-posting too! It all helps get new authors like myself noticed :-D

    Emlyn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...