Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

 
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Author Online: Twitter Website Blog 
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: February 15, 2011 
Format: Hardcover: 464 Pages.
My Rating: 5/5  
Buy It: Amazon Barns & Noble  The Book Depository
Summary:When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul. A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.
My Review:
You know that feeling that you get every once in a while when you go into a store, or go to a yard sale and you find something that just makes your heart stop because it’s just so perfect amongst all of the other seemingly worthless things surrounding it?
Well, Angelfire was that something for me.
Ellie was a nice girl who just so happened to be this reincarnated warrior whose job it was to protect the world from reapers. Yep—that’s how I sum it up for you!
I liked the fact that Ellie was willing to believe all of this about her, having gone from being a normal teenage girl to a warrior in a very short amount of time, but she was still a little skeptical, which I liked. I hate when the main character finds out something about themselves, and either believes it all too quickly, or isn’t willing to believe it at all. Ellie was a very believable and relatable character, and by the end of the book, I wanted to be her best friend.
I felt that all of the characters in this novel severed a point—none of them were there to just be there and I liked most of all the secondary characters. All of the characters showed great development and growth throughout the novel, (especially Ellie), which I loved.
I also want to take a moment to personally thank Courtney for writing in Ellie’s perspective. Ellie was a breath of fresh air to read about. She was witty, sweet, smart, and over all, totally awesome. She felt like a real teenage girl to me: a little bit girly while still being fierce, controlled by her emotions but not letting them get in the way, and hopelessly attracted to Will. But can you blame her?! Oh, Will. Sigh…
This book was action packed; every other scene was a fierce battle; Ellie fighting for her life, and Will right there with her. Which, now that I’ve mentioned him… it brings me to the romance part of this novel.
Now, let me just say that I loved Ellie as a character. I loved Will as a character, so you put them together and I was smiling like an idiot.
I loved Will and Ellie. Together, they were unstoppable. Will was cute and charming, and even when he was out of the picture for just one second I was dying for more of him!
Can he and Four from Divergent be my book boyfriends? Please? Such amazing male leads! If there is one thing Courtney Allison Moulton can write, it is great characters and even better action sequences.
This novel was just a little piece of awesome, and I cannot wait for Book Two, Wings of the Wicked.
If you like blood, hot guys, blood, awesome battle scenes, blood, relatable characters, hot guys, and more blood—this book is for you! Don’t be like me and wait until forever to read Angelfire; if you own it, pick it up today. If not, what are you waiting for, you crazy person, you! Go get it! Now! Go! Go! Go!
Angelfire will have you on the edge of your seat, cheering for Ellie, Will, and their fight for their lives as they take on reapers, life, and even each other. You won’t want to miss out on this amazing series.
“As I swung a third time, he grabbed my wrist. "That's enough hitting," he growled. "You don't exactly hit like a girl, you know.” --Angelfire

1 comment:

  1. I love this book! The action sequences were definitely my favourite part. As well as Will ;) My friends and I all swoon over him. I also look forward to seeing more of the other guy... I can't remember his name though. It's too early for that. Caden? Maybe? The guy who showed up at the party and on the boat anyway, haha. *swoons some more*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...