Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Author: Gayle Forman
Author Online: Twitter Website
Publisher: Dutton
Release Date: April 5, 2011
Format: Hardcover: 208 pages
My Rating: 5/5
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.
My Review:
I am a huge fan of Gayle Forman, so I was so excited when I found out about Where She Went and just knew I had to read it, since I loved If I Stay so, so much. Of course, there was that little voice in my head: What if this book doesn’t live up to If I Stay? What if it ruins my love for the first book?
As you can see, I sometimes like to ‘what if’ a lot, but, I told myself, whether I turn out to love Where She Went or not, I was reading it. Am I ever glad I did!
Where She Went picks up three years after the horrible car crash that claimed the lives of Mia Hall’s family, and, as we come to know, was the end of the beautiful relationship that was of Mia and Adam.
This book is told by Adam, Mia’s ex-boyfriend, whose band, Shooting Star, has made the big time: I’m talking Grammy winning, double platinum, that kind of big. He’s living the life with his movie-star girlfriend and never-ending fame. He seems to have it all. Only, his life hasn’t been the same since Mia left, and he has been simply trying to exist without her ever since.
In Where She Went, it is clear that Mia has made her dream come true, and is making a career as a concert cellist. She happens to be playing Carnegie Hall the very same night that Adam has an off day in New York. They find each other again after three long years, and they spend the night by Mia showing Adam her New York, and by the next morning, they will part ways again, for whoever knows how long.
This book was amazing! It was heartbreaking, heartwarming; heart stopping… it had you on edge from the start of every chapter, to the very end of every chapter.
Gayle Forman has a way of writing that leaves you breathless, wanting more, but not quite knowing if you can handle it.
Her writing is almost poetic; the way she takes you into her world, lets you feel the characters pain, feel their happiness, see the world from their eyes… it’s beautiful.
I always knew while reading If I Stay that Adam seemed like such an amazing character, and I wished so much that I could know what he was thinking, how he felt about everything that happened to Mia and her family, about what happened to him and Mia after the end of If I Stay. I got my wish.
Adam was so true a character that at times, I often felt drained while reading this book from his point of view. He didn’t sugarcoat anything, and let you know from the very first page who he was, how he was feeling, and what a ride you were in for, reading about the last three years of his life. Of course, Mia makes her way into this story and into the life of Adam Wilde once more.
If there was one thing I loved about If I Stay, it was the relationships; mainly, the relationship of Mia and Adam. Their relationship was beautiful, the kind of relationship you can only dream of. Adam was the perfect boyfriend, friend, and guy. I want me my very own Adam!
And the song lyrics at the beginning of every other chapter were beautiful! It had me wishing that there really was a Shooting Star album that I could listen to, because I know I would just love it!
Bottom line: the emotion in this novel is overflowing, spilling over the pages and pulls at your heart. It will make you smile, mad, teary-eye, and full of the never ending love these two characters share. If you’re a fan of a great love story that has amazingly relatable characters, great writing, and is overall amazing, you must get your hands on this book right now.  Gayle Forman has outdone herself once again, and I cannot wait for her next story!
You don’t share me. You own me.” –Where She Went.

2 comments:

  1. oh! awesome review... I read the first book, and it left me breathless.. I wasn't really planning on reading the second, but now that I know it's from Adam's POV, well now I have to... it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my absolute favorites! I'm so glad you liked it :0) And congrats Angel, you've won the Liebster Award over on my blog!!

    Sarah @ The Book Life

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...