Thursday, September 1, 2011

Book Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum


Author: Amy Plum
Author Online: Twitter Website
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Format: Hardcover: 352
My Rating: 3/5
Buy It: Amazon Barns & Noble Book Depository
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.
When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.
Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.
 
My Review:
Die for Me by Amy Plum was a light read with some very interesting twists and turns.
Our heroine, Kate, was a nice character. I found her real and the pain of having lost her parents really touched me, and made me think about how life would be without my parents.
It wouldn’t be much of a life, really.
I loved her relationship with her sister, because I, myself, am very close with my older brother, so I know just how much Georgia meant to her, and how glad she was to still have her.
The relationships in this novel were great; from Kate’s grandparents, to Vincent’s ‘family’, it was just great. Wait… who is Vincent, you ask? Well, since you asked nicely…
Vincent is Kate’s super hot, undead (kind of?) and super dreamy French-maybe-he-is-maybe-he-isn’t-boyfriend. If that line doesn’t make you want to read this book, I don’t know what will! What are you reading if not these awesome YA Paranormal Romance novels? Let’s not get into that…
Die for Me is set in Paris, France, and just let me tell you, I have been reading A LOT of books set in Paris this year! But I love it!
The description was great, and it made me just want to jump into Kate's world and see Paris from her eyes, almost like the way Anna and the French Kiss (review to come! How exciting!) made me feel.
And while now living her days (and nights!) in France, Kate meets Vincent. Can you say tall, dark, undead, and handsome? I loved me some Vincent…
I loved how Kate and Vincent got to know each other, and spent time together before anything too serious started happening between them. But, as in all paranormal YA reads, one of our main characters is not… well… completely human.
Vincent is what is called a revenant—an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Yep. I just totally took that line from the summary. Sue me, I’m lazy!
I thought the idea of having the main character being a revenant instead of a zombie, (which is what Plum’s revenants largely resemble, even though in folklore, revenants more so resemble vampires. You can bet I did my research! Good blogger award, anyone?) was really original. Zombies aren’t as popular as vampires by any means, but still. Revenants were close to none-existent before this YA book! Thank you for writing something new for us, Amy Plum!
But even though the set up and the characters were amazing, I just didn’t feel much for it. I felt it was just missing something. Maybe that missing feeling was just Kate’s sadness over her parents death rubbing off on me, or maybe the story itself just did not have a strong enough plot line for me.
But, this is the first in a series, so that could be why.
Overall, I would read this book. The story came slightly more together at the end, and left me wanting to know what was going to happen next. I can’t wait for book 2!
Even if you somehow end up not liking this novel—though, it’s pretty likeable—it sure does look wonderfully pretty on your shelf!
"Well, spit on my empty grave--if it ain't the attack of the Disney princesses!" -Die For Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...