Saturday, September 10, 2011

Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Author: Stephanie Perkins
Author Online: Twitter Website
Publisher: Dutton
Release Date: December 2, 2010
Format: Hardcover: 372
My Rating: 5/5
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.
As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
My review:
This book was just… wow. Everything in this book was just so adorable and witty and smart… it was just an altogether great read.
This book had such hype leading up to its release, and I didn’t know what to think about it. Anna and the French Kiss sounded like something I would not usually read, but I knew I just had to have it, because, hey: the cover is pretty amazing!
Anna was such a relatable character that at times it was almost as if she were jumping off the pages at me.
You couldn’t help but feel for her, having to move from Atlanta, Georgia, all the way to France, just because her father is pretty much the Nicolas Sparks of her world, being a ‘romance’ writer, and wants her to have some ‘culture’ in her life.
Her internal dialog was laugh-out-loud funny, and refreshing from all of the sullen thoughts of characters I have been reading lately.
All of the secondary characters were very well devolved and you couldn’t help but love them. They were just as much a part of this book as Anna herself, and had me wishing all the more that I could jump into the story so that they could be my friends.
And St. Claire… our hero was adorable, for a better word.
I liked St. Claire. I didn’t love him, but I liked him. He wasn’t close to perfect by any means, but that’s what I liked about him—about all of the characters. And, he totally had an English accent, while still being American, English, and Parisian. Yep. Stephanie Perkins went there, and I love her for it!
This book had an amazing cast of characters. All of them were very well developed and I loved all of them. They weren’t just there to be there; they actually had roles and I loved that.
Anna was so fun to read about and I loved how real she seemed. She was just a teenage girl who somehow ends up in France, and I found her first few days (and everything after that) very believable.
Stephanie Perkins really gave this novel such strong detail, so much that I could almost see, smell, and feel everything that Anna did. After reading this novel, I am dying to get out to Paris! And soon!
Anna and St. Claire’s relationship was very believable. I love the fact that they were best friends who slowly began to develop feelings for one another, but didn’t just act on those feelings. Even though at times it annoyed me, and had me wanting to yell at them to just get it together and kiss already, I am glad they didn’t just jump into it. Because, lets face it: I hate when books has the leading characters just instantly fall in love and are together by the end of the second chapter.
Overall, while some might label this as a ‘coming of age’ story, I just like to call it a story of growth. Of good times with friends, of bad times with friends, and for exploring another country than your own, and of knowing just who you are, and what you’re truly capable of.
This was an amazing debut from Stephanie Perkins, and I cannot wait for Lola and the Boy Next Door, and for all of her future works.
“The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.” –Anna and the French Kiss.

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing reviews of Anna and the French Kiss--the joy most people seem to feel is really obvious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know you can create short links with OUO and get cash for every click on your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...