Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Book Review: The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen

 
Author: Allison van Diepen
Author Online: Twitter Website
Publisher: Point
Release Date: June 1, 2011
Format: Hardcover: 272
My Rating: 5/5
Buy It: Amazon Barns & Noble Book Depository
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) What if the characters in a vampire novel left their world--and came into yours?
Amy is in love with someone who doesn't exist: Alexander Banks, the dashing hero in a popular series of vampire novels. Then one night, Amy meets a boy who bears an eerie resemblance to Alexander. In fact, he IS Alexander, who has escaped from the pages of the book and is in hot pursuit of a wicked vampire named Vigo. Together, Amy and Alexander set out to track Vigo and learn how and why Alexander crossed over. But when she and Alexander begin to fall for each other, Amy wonders if she even wants him to ever return to the realm of fiction.


The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen was such a fun, cute read!
I have to admit that at first, it was the book cover and title that got me to pick up this book. It just seemed so… interesting: “The Vampire Stalker. Huh. What could that possibly be about?” I asked myself. Yeah, right. But let me tell you; I got way more than I expected.
Amy is in love. Only, she’s in love with a guy she has never met. Like most of us book lovers, Amy is in love with a fictional character from her favorite books, The Otherworld trilogy by Elizabeth Howard.
Alexander Banks is the young brooding vampire hunter of Otherworld Chicago. With only the aid of his cousin, the pacifist, James, Alexander, is out to get revenge on Vigo Skaar, the vampire who killed his family when he was just a young boy.
One night while walking home from a school dance, Amy is attacked. Only, this attack seems anything but normal. Amy gets just a quick glance at her attacker before she is carried several feet away and is then rescued before she realizes what has happened. Her savior is none other than Alexander Banks himself, and her attacker: none other than the vampire Vigo Skaar.
Amy and Alexander are in for a crazy ride when they join forces to figure out how exactly both Alexander and Vigo were transported from Otherworld Chicago to the real world, and most of all: How to stop Vigo from murdering the innocent people of their city before it is too late.
I really enjoyed this book! I honestly didn’t know what to expect when I picked this up, but this novel really beat my expectations and left me satisfied.
Amy was a likeable character. She was fun to read about, and I enjoyed reading the story from her point of view.
She seemed like a normal teenage girl, from the way she fought with--but very much loved--her sister, to how she loved to write fan fictions, because, come on: how many of us haven't written a fanfic or two in our time?  Her friends were also nice, and I didn’t find myself annoyed with any of the characters as I have so often come to find as of late with some of these new YA books within this supernatural-type category.
Alexander was charming and I found myself smiling along with Amy at the mere mention of his name. Yes. I fell in love with him as well, which surprised me because we never really learn much about Alexander.
Yes, Amy and Alexander talk and you get to see them learning little bits and pieces of each other, but when it all comes down to it, Amy has already learned so much from having read about Alexander from the Otherworld books, that there were spaces that left us guessing.
I loved the idea of literary-physics, which is what they used as the reasoning as to why/how Alexander transported from Otherworld to the real world.
Overall, even though I found the plot-line kind of weak, the story was engaging and kept me reading and wanting more.
I’m not sure if there is going to be a second book, or if this is a stand-alone, but I do see the makings of another book for this group of new and exciting characters.
So if you want a nice, fun read, I would pick this book up the next time you’re looking for a quick read. You won’t be sorry!

1 comment:

  1. glad you liked it! I've been interested in this one for a while so glad it has your endorsement!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...