Sunday, August 7, 2011

Book Review: Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey



Author: Beth Fantaskey
Author Online: Twitter Website
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Release Date: 1 edition (May 3, 2010)
Format: Hardcover: 288 pages
My Rating: 5/5
Buy It: Amazon Barns & Noble Book Depository
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents rules;especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be the key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.
To improve her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything, even Tristen's love just for the thrill of being . . . bad.

My Review: 
Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey was, dare I say… amazing?
I’ve been a fan of Beth Fantaskey since I read Jessica’s Guild to Dating on the Dark Side sometime last year. It was such a fun, fast read, but with a very dark undertone, much the same as this one. I’m starting to learn that to be her writing style, and I love it! 
I know this book has been out for a while, but I still see few reviews on it; people only knowing of Jessica’s Guild, so I wanted to review this great book.
Jekel Loves Hyde was dark without being gory, mysterious without being secretive and all together alluring.
We first meet our heroine, Jill Jekel, after the death of her father. While at his funeral, a classmate of Jill’s—Tristen Hyde (our hero)—shows up and comforts her as a shoulder to cry on, right there in the graveyard. This might be normal, other than the fact that Jill and Tristen are complete strangers outside of school, each one not knowing much about the other. Soon, Jill and Tristen come together to enter a science competition, the prize being $30,000 that is crucial for Jill if she is to go to her dream school, and the experiment they are working on in question, crucial for Tristen , if he wants to remain true to himself… whoever that may be.
I loved this book so much—words cannot express it enough! Jill felt real to me, and I felt her pain and heartache through most of the novel, even though she tried to keep strong and take care of her mother who was still grief-stricken by her husband’s death. 
Though at times Jill was very stiff and boring, I never got that annoyed with her. She was your typical nerdy girl and I liked her for who she was. Fantaskey didn’t try to make her more than that, and for that, I am glad.
Tristen … oh Tristen Hyde! He was definitely swoon-worthy! Tristen is a “bad boy” who is on the cross-country team, and he has a temper that will get him into some real trouble if he doesn’t watch out.
This book was amazing. I couldn’t get enough. I think I would have read it in less than a day if I didn’t have to leave the house, go to the bathroom, eat, etc, etc…
It has just the right mix of creepy and sexy, and I love the way this story played in with The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.
While most people (people who actually think with their mind while reading) will find it hard to believe that what takes place in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde had actually happened, I find Jekel Loves Hyde to be as close as something like that happening could get. 
Fantaskey did a lovely job of putting it all together, and I loved all of the right characters and disliked all of the evil ones. Oh yes, there were evil ones!
So if you’re looking for a light read with dark lighting, I would pick up Jekel Loves Hyde in a heartbeat! You will not be sorry. 
Also, for all of us Jessica’s Guild lovers out there, the sequel, Jessica Rules the Dark Side, will be coming out January 10th, 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait!

6 comments:

  1. I have had this book sitting on my wishlist for ages and it seems whenever I finally go to buy it they are sold out. It look and sounds fantastic and I can't wait to finally read it. And the front cover is really cool - I love the green :)

    Thanks for the post. I so have to get this now :)

    Blethering About Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful review! I really liked this book too. I love the way you describe her writing as light with dark undertones. You're spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'll have to give this book a try since you gave it 5/5 stars. It sounds really interesting.

    Also, I’m a new follower— wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're looking for a reputable contextual advertising company, I suggest that you take a look at ExoClick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Searching for the Ultimate Dating Site? Create an account to find your perfect date.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...