Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Author: Veronica Roth
Author Online: Twitter Website
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Format: Hardcover: 496
My Rating: 5/5
Buy It: Amazon Barns & Noble Book Depository
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads) Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.
My Reivew:
Divergent has so far been the best YA book I have read in 2011. I am not even kidding. Get your hands on this book now!!!
Beatrice (Tris) was such a unique, endearing, kick*ss—you name it, she was it—character. I really liked Tris, and felt connected to her and her world the whole time I was reading. I could have finished this book in one sitting; I have no doubt, if I didn’t have to sleep. But that’s not important. The point is: this book was none stop action from the very start. I have never read a book where on every single page something was happening, and made you feel like if you put the book down for one second, you were going to die from the anticipation. Of course, you had your calm and sweet moments, but most of the book, Tris and the other characters were more or less fighting for their lives.
I really felt for Tris when she had to make the difficult decision of which faction she was going to join, and I found myself rooting for her on her journey until the very last page.
She was the kind of character that really showed growth. She came a long way from being Beatrice: quiet, afraid to speak out, curious… to becoming Tris:  Strong, confident, brave; fearless. I loved how Ms. Roth didn’t try to make her perfect. Tris is a small, short girl, who maybe (you never really know) is not the prettiest, smartest girl around. In the world of today, where most of the female characters of YA books are always beautiful, smart, outgoing and has everything going for them—Tris was a breath of fresh air.

All of the characters I felt were really devolved, even with this being the first in a trilogy, I felt like all of the characters had a strong sense of who they were, or who they wanted to be.
The world Veronica Roth has created is wonderfully crafted, alluring, and utterly terrifying. All I have to say is, if Chicago ever takes a turn in the Divergent direction, I am NEVER going there!
I liked the way that the author pulled you into the story and made you feel like you were a part of it; I have never gripped a book so tightly in my hands before.
And Four! Our hero was quite the catch. He wasn’t one of those sappy, pushover characters that made you roll your eyes every two seconds. I loved how he cared so much about Tris but still kept his head and had you always dying to know more about him. While this book was packed full of action, there was also a romantic nature to the writing that I just adored.
I keep talking about the characters a lot, but I think that is Ms. Roth’s strong point; having such relatable, engaging characters that make the whole story so much better. And her detail is always perfect, and adds so much more to the story.
All I can really say about this book is that Veronica Roth has shown us just what she can do, and has—I’m sure—every single one of us dying for more.
I cannot wait for the second book in this exciting new trilogy: Insurgent. I hope it picks up right where Divergent left off, and I cannot wait to see where Veronica Roth takes us next. She is an author to watch out for. This stunning debut proves just that.
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.” –Divergent.

4 comments:

  1. Yay I'm so glad to see enjoyed this book as it's one of my favorite ones of the year as well! I agree that Four and Tris were indeed fabulous characters. I personally loved how brave yet flawed and vulnerable they were at times. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally loved this one as well! I absolutely couldn't put it down... I wanted more, which I think is the sign of a good book, especially when the book is a good length already. So glad you enjoyed 'Divergent'! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard nothing but good things about these books. I really need to jump on the dystopian band wagon I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was awesome. Will have my review up of this on Monday over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love. Come visit me. New follower.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...